Today I would like you to investigate springs and how they stretch when a force is applied to them. (This is important because stretching springs are one way to construct a scale!)
- Take several minutes and play with the PhET Mass and Spring Simulation. (Hint: If it’s on the screen, it probably moves!)
- Try to determine the mass of the unknown weights (green, red, and gold.)
- You may work in a small group.
- You must turn in your own work.
- You probably want to make a (really good) graph from stuff that you can measure in the lab. (Independent variables on the x-axis!)
What am I turning in? (Due at the end of class!)
- Make a data table that includes information that you used to determine the mass of the unknowns. Record the determined masses in the table as well.
- Write a procedure that another student could follow to verify your results. The procedure should be in paragraph form.
- Write a paragraph that explains your reasoning for the procedure design.
- (If you have time) Find the gravity on Planet X and describe how you determined it.